Friday, November 25, 2011

If California redefines marraige to include same sex couples, should any 2 adults be prevented from marrying?

There are many financial and other advantages to marriage that will be conveyed to gays and lesbians at 5:01pm on Monday. These include inheritance preferences, tax preferences and medical rights. If these advantages are disconnected from traditional marriage, should they be denied to best friends, cousins, siblings and senior citizens who cohabitate as close friends without sex? What is the public policy basis for granting special tax rights and medical rights only to people engaging in sexual activity?If California redefines marraige to include same sex couples, should any 2 adults be prevented from marrying?
Medical rights, inheritance rights, life insurance, etc. were always available to gays. That complaint was just smoke for an ill informed public.


With a living trust all these rights are extended to the trustee.


As a trustee of a living trust one can be assigned medical power of attorney, financial power of attorney and inheritance.


Cost to set it up, $350.


I know this to be true because I was the trustee of just such a living trust. I ,Mr Moore`s employee, was put on it as trustee as he changed his mind about his gay lover.


In fact I had absolute power, even more than any spouse or relative. When I showed up people jumped as Mr Moore`s power of attorney had arrived. While others waited in waiting rooms I was in the conference room, emergency room, board room, making life and death decisions. I was in total control of property and money.


The only advantage to marriage is the tax break. Gay rights people know this very well. Many in the know gays already have living trusts.





You are correct now a brother can marry a brother and a sister marry a sister. What small step is it to go just a little further.





Marriage was invented to protect the offspring, the children. The tax breaks were given to aid parents in the raising of the children.





Glad you askedIf California redefines marraige to include same sex couples, should any 2 adults be prevented from marrying?
God says '; same sex marriage is wrong and consequences will follow. Ck out the tornados, floods, earthquakes and the American empire going down daily. I believe the bible and Calif rulings on this are wrong. Thanks for listening.
That's a good point and, no doubt, some people will marry for economic benefit.





But some hetero couples do that now, so I don't see a fundamental change.
Interesting question. I live in Orange County, CA, a red county in a blue state. This has caused some commotion here to be sure.





I've always disliked laws that restrict my freedom. If I were gay, I'd probably have figured it out by my teen years. At least that's what my gay friends tell me. I know that they have been forced to live as second class citizens for a very long time, and I fail to understand how their happiness stands in the way of anyone elses? Sure, the Bible says it's an abomination, but isn't the USA a pluralistic society where we are free to chose our religion and are expected to tolerate each other's differences? Anyway, I am one Republican that reads his Bible, and at the same time applaudes the liberal court's decision in this matter.





But that wasn't your question was it. One of my sisters has been in a platonic relationship with her female friend for over 25 years. They own a house together, pool financial resources, etc... As best friends, I think they should be able to take advantage of the probate, insurance and tax benifits as you suggest.





There is a hurdle for blood relatives. I'm not up on incest laws in California, but I'm sure we have some. If blood relatives were allowed to marry, I'm sure that some would take advantage and go beyond the platonic limits. Frankly, I don't even care about that, so long as they don't make babies.





Like I said before, I don't like laws that limit personal freedoms. We shouldn't have to wear a helmet or a seatbelt if we have medical insurance to cover our resulting medical expenses. We should be allowed to smoke marajanna, marajuana, hmmm, grass in our own house. And to hell with all the other nanny laws.





Write it up, and I'll sign it.
  • good makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment