Friday, July 30, 2010

Christians, atheists and others; do you think same-sex couples should be able to adopt children?

Seeing as there is a constant demand for adoptive parents (particular in poorer overseas countries) and these needs can never be fully satisfied with the current number of heterosexual adoptive parents - why wouldn't it be okay for a same-sex couple to adopt children?





Wouldn't it be beneficial to a child that would never live in a stable household to have a greater chance of being adopted and cared for?





Note: this is directly mostly at those who oppose same-sex adoptive parents.Christians, atheists and others; do you think same-sex couples should be able to adopt children?
If they are fit people based off the rest of their character, and can provide safe loving homes for children I see nothing wrong with this. And I see nothing about a persons sexual orientation that does not involve kids that would negatively effect a child.Christians, atheists and others; do you think same-sex couples should be able to adopt children?
I have seen studies that show it is not beneficial for the child to be adopted by parents of the same sex, that they need a mother and a father. I've seen others even going so far as to say that it is dangerous in the case of two males adopting a child based on some unsubstantiated claims that link homosexuality to pedophilia. None of those really amounted to anything.





What we do know is that children typically are better off in a family with a loving mother and father, than they are with only a single parent.





What does that say about homosexual couples adopting? Not much.





Personally I think it's fine as long as the child is raised in a loving and nurturing home.
I wanted to answer only to add a non-religious concern. I have no questions on gay %26amp; having full rights. On adoption, I've wondered if the man %26amp; female role models in a home are important to a healthy upbringing. From that point of view, %26amp; only that point of view if studies showed an issue with children raised in homosexual households above other situations, then I'd want to take a look at it. I have no idea what's out there now in studies.





On a more practical note, if it's a choice between that or foster care - a no brainer of course. Also, with so many single parent homes, I'm not sure the role model question could come up by comparision.





Why I raise any concern within myself is that I remember studies from school about the difference even simple things like how much a father played with his girl children made in their science grades -- so role models matter. (The studies has nothing to do with homosexuality.) But who's to say when a cousin or friend of the parents won't be there to fill in those areas too?





I wanted to answer with this only because, the only other comments I'm seeing are from religous orientation which is just so much hooey in my opinion, %26amp; wanted to express one outside the religious arena.
I am a Christian who opposes homosexuality. However, sometimes we must accept something we don't agree with, because it is less evil than the alternative. I do not like the idea of same-sex couples adopting, but I do not think it is as bad as letting children suffer in poverty and homelessness. I would encourage Christians and others with traditional values to adopt more children or support those who do. But there are so many children, that some could be adopted by well-screened same-sex couples.


A very large number of adoption agencies are run by Christian charities and should definitely stick to their policies of requiring Christian heterosexual parents. But government agencies can use same-sex couples as I discussed above.
';Christians, atheists and others; do you think same-sex couples should be able to adopt children?';





No.





';why wouldn't it be okay';





If you can't procreate, you don't need kids. If its a male and a female, and one is sterile its fine to adopt a kid, the opposite genders balance out. Same sex parents? Sick sick people %26gt;_%26lt; How would you like growing up having a father figure that was female? or a mother figure that was a male? Its absolutely repulsive.





Ugh, Its sickening to think of a Child growing up with two Males or two Females, one being the 'mother' and one being the 'father' its absolutely abhorrent. I don't see how people can be so accepting of something so unnatural its totally sickening. What is the world coming to?





`*~Immorality at its greatest. America leads the way.





*~Salams (Peace)
***Wouldn't it be beneficial to a child that would never live in a stable household to have a greater chance of being adopted and cared for?***





What do you call stable? How do you prove something is right?





Let's do like Obama wants and let babies die in the hands of doctors without care so we don't have to answer another one of these hypothetical questions.





If another religion doesn't believe in homo-sexual relationships, why do you have to but in? Why can't you let them have their opinion? Why do you have to be so judgmental about what someone else believes? Can't gays get along with others without always trying to convert them their beliefs? Gosh! I mean really.
As long as they are able to provide a stable home and income and they can provide a friend or family member of the opposite sex to give that child a balanced set of role models then I have no problem with same-sex couples adopting. Our orphanages are so overrun with abused and neglected children, I don't care who they get it from or what their sexual practices are but these children need a stable, loving environment where they can grow, learn and play. These children don't need to be shuffled back and forth between foster homes.
As a Christian, I think that the government should stay out of the process as much as possible. For example, we cannot adopt and it isn't because no one is willing to give us their baby, it's because we can't afford it due to the government. This should be a choice between the adults that are involved. If the real parents abandon, then I understand, to an extent, the government involvement. With that said, homosexuality isn't the sin that I fear that will be ingrained within the child; rather, disbelief is. That will be an issue no matter where the child is placed; therefore, I suppose it's out of my hands and really none of my business. I would love for all to believe in God, obviously; however, I also don't want children to be placed in an abusive and unloving home. So, with all that said, I suppose I have no real opinion. Thankfully, in Heaven, this will no longer be an issue.
I'm a Christian, and I have no problem with same sex couples adopting children, as long as they pass the same standards that a heterosexual couple would have to pass and they are both strongly committed to each other and to raising a child.





I figure having a stable family that loves you (even if it's not the ';traditional' family) is a heck of a lot better than being shuffled between foster homes or raised in and orphanage or something somewhere...
YES! My partner and I are currently in the adoption process right now in NY state. NY laws not only allow same sex couples to adopt, but fully protect our right to do so. We have just as much love and hope to give to a child as anyone else does, so why should anyone have the right to deny us that? The USA has come a long way in ending most of the the discrimination against people due to their skin color, religion, etc., but we continue to have legalized discrimination against same sex couples. It baffles me that we are denied the right to get married to the one we love (in most states), adopt children together (in some states), and can't get medical benefits from our ';spouse's'; employer (in most places). Sorry for the rant, but what if we applied this treatment to people from Finland, or to people who are left-handed? Wouldn't we say that is illegal discrimination? For some reason, even thought it's almost 2009, we are still considered sub-human just because we are gay. Amazing!
Absolutely, yes.





To begin with, with immediate effect, I'd allow same-sex couples to adopt one another's children. There are many who have had children of their own, and live with a same-sex partner. At present, if the child's natural parent should die, they will be taken away from the only other parent they ever knew and whisked away to an orphanage.
Love is love, spread the wealth of it


As long as a child is raised in a loving home, shut up and let them live!


To love and care for children is GOD's greatest commandment.


For some couples, Gay or Straight, it's the only way they may have kids. Let them have kids, and let them raise them well!


';Raise up a child, in the way that he shall go; and when he is older he shall not depart from it';





Raise up a kid in a house filled with loving, caring parents.


GOD loves everybody! teach 'em that!


God loves you as you are, if He wants you to change, HE will change you, not somebody else.





Voting no, on prop 8 in CA


Fair, is fair!





It is not for me to judge, anybody!


';There but for the grace of GOD go I';


';While we were yet sinners, he died for our sins!';


If GOD accepts you as you are now, who am I to judge?
i don't oppose it.... the two main reasons that many people oppose it are because


1. a child should have a man and women in their life


if this was true single parents wouldn't be fit to raise children





2. if a gay raises a child that child will be gay


if your gay your not taught to be gay.... i know people who have been gay since before they even knew what it meant to be gay
as a Christian why would I not let a fellow person love a child in need? It seems silly and contradictory. The Church's stance on homosexuality is out-dated. It is based on the premise that homosexuality is a choice. This is not true which means that other Christians can no longer say they are making a conscious decision in free will to be sinful. The church's stance is equivalent to saying African Americans are sinful because they are black.
I think it is fine.





There are children in want of parents. Unless the parents are abusive, I think it is fine to let anyone (single parents, gay parents, etc) adopt a child.





Most of those kids don't HAVE parents. I'm sure 1 parent or gay parents is much better than no parents.
yes, it should be okay. better two same sex parents than no parents. what kind of idiot would argue against that?





that's true poohcat1, but consider this. if you take the same child and put him in a heterosexual household, the other kids will just make fun of him for something else.
yes I do believe they should be able to adopt. I know a few gay couples that have and they are wonderful parents. I know some however that aren't but irregardless of sexual preference what makes a good parent is the love they have for the child.
I don't believe it is wrong. If what same sex couples say about being born gay is true, children will not necessarily follow in their footsteps. The only problem I see is the likelihood that the kids will be teased or shunned by some others. That would hurt them...a lot.
Yes, why would it not be okay, do you really think we could do a poorer job than the less than perfect heterosexual parents of today?





It's very telling how every person in opposition is so, because of religion.
if they meet the same requirements of straight adoptive parents, absolutely.





get a grip people, this isn't a theocracy, and you have no right to impose your religion on others.
As long as they meet the standard for the adoption agency, then go for it. I don't see what's the deal is. My biological father is gay. Doesn't bother me any, I still love women, boobs, and all that.
Why shouldn't they ?





I hereby dedicate this song to this who say they shouldn't be allowed to adopt .......





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i6OrOZwt…
Adoption is good no matter what kind of couple as long as a less fortunate or homeless/ parentless child is getting love, support and education b it from any quarter.
Homosexual couples should be subject to the same parenting criteria as heterosexual couples - no more, no less.
A child deserves love and stability. If the parents are going to raise the child with an open mind, I see no reason for anyone not to be able to adopt.
I think that as long as the child is provided with the love and care he/she needs to grow up in a caring environment, I don't see anything wrong with it......
Yes, I believe that same sex couples should be allowed to adopt children.
No I don't believe they should adopt children. Since I think Homosexuality is against the laws of God I don't think that homosexual couples should be allowed to adopt. To me it is not beneficial for a child to live with a couple who is living against the will of God.





And actually there is a constant demand of heterosexual couples who want to adopt as well. This to me is actually another reason God wants us to be heterosexual so we can have children. If that weren't true then we would be asexual. You make the choice to be homosexual you take the consequences of that decision.





God Bless,


Michelle
No, due to the fact that gay couples are breaking down the family structure planned by God and these children will be brought up within a dysfunctional family unit that is against the will of God. I do realize you two are not christian and are not looking for this type of answer, but I answer in response to God's Word, the Bible. God bless
No. I would like to see your statistics on the needs not being satisfied with traditional families. I've heard that the number of abortions almost equals all of the families that want to adopt. Of course, I don't have a reference, but maybe you do.






No. Allowing it would be going against the laws of our God. Hasn't mankind learned anything from our past mistakes with God?

No comments:

Post a Comment