Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Why do so many military couples have children at such young ages?

This is not a judgmental question at all, I have a friend who is 21 and she and her boyfriend (who is in Iraq right now) are having a baby this fall.


It's just something I've noticed among military families, that they often have kids between 19-24.





Any reason? I have always wondered. Thanks for your answers!Why do so many military couples have children at such young ages?
Not all do, but there is a high amount that do. Some of it is the stability of the job, paycheck, housing and insurance at such a young age....some couple feel all grown up and start popping out babies. Plus, the distance/deployments affect the rate of women have children younger too.





Yet, a lot don't....I am 25 and my husband is an AD Marine is 35, we have no children yet. Of course, his constant deployments and my school get in the way of planning a family. There are a lot more couples we know that we know that are waiting to have children due to the constant deployment/rotation to Iraq/Afghanistan.





But I will add.......although they are young....at least military families have two paychecks a month, housing and insurance. MOST young people (civilians) in this nation have nothing to bring a child into the world on. At least the military family has a guaranteed roof over their head and health insurance. They are better off, even though deployments stink, than most civilian young parents.Why do so many military couples have children at such young ages?
Honestly, I think it has something to do with the distance and the deployments. I'm married to a Marine and sometimes when he's gone I sit around all day thinking about children, and how if I had a baby it would distract me from the loneliness.





So I do certainly think that is part of the reason...when your husband is gone and you're lonely, kids can be a great distraction, and make you feel like you're doing something worthwhile other than just waiting.





Edit:





I do totally agree with sad sad man. The reason people wait to have kids is for the financial stability. So if you're stable, what are you waiting for? My husband and I are waiting to have kids (I'm 20) just because I want some time with just me and him before we start adding in other people...but as far as the stability part...I could get knocked up today and not have to worry about a thing.
that's when most people have children. It may seem like more military couples are young and having children but when you think about; the vast majority of the people in the military are in that age range.





I'm 40 and I'm one of the older people in my detachment. . .only the commander is older than me.
Whether you are a Civilian or on Active duty, the child per that age group is insane. Just as many civilians have children as the active duty folks. I am a 24yrold with a 4 yr old. Not planned things happen. Also i have noticed at everybase usually about 9 mths after a deployment there is a big influx of infants. SO being away from your spouse that long is hard and maybe since it's been so long he has super sperm ;o) haha
As previously stated, I think because they figure ';why not'; since they have stability and resources to do so. My cousin and his wife got married at 20 and had their first child 10 months later. Why? I never really asked, but those two kids were in love!


Not to be morbid but It also may be a means of forming a connection in case (God forbid) they don't make it home
The same reaon most civilians couple have children between the ages of 19-24.





There is no difference between the age of starting a family in the military and for civilians.
Its not just the military. Look at the major cities around the country. 80% of our children in the city are born out of wedlock making us a third world country, or at least heading that way !
'Cause it's encouraged by Uncle Sam in a fairly obtuse fashion. Spouses and children are a better retention tool than reenlistment bonuses could ever be.
Probably when they see their wife they want to make a lasting bond -- they don't spend a lot of time together -- just a guess
Why ask such a stupid question?





19-24 isn't exactly ';young'; and you have a guaranteed job, guaranteed health benefits, guaranteed housing. The only reason most people wait to have children is for STABILITY purposes. You don't want to have kids until you're sure you're set. Well, if you don't have to worry about rent, nothing is holding you back.
They get married young too, the military forces families together.

No comments:

Post a Comment